The District of Columbia allows sweepstakes and contests.
Contests: are allowed as long as the sponsor awards the prize based on skill and not chance.
Sweepstakes: are allowed as long as the sponsor awards the prize based on chance.
District of Columbia Cannabis or Marijuana Sweepstakes or Contest Laws
- Cannabis or any product containing cannabis, such as food or drinks are not allowed as prizes.
- Purchases of any related products can’t be required for entry.
- Make sure that your sweepstakes is only open to entrants age 21 or older with proof of age.
- Any ads must have a disclaimer about the state’s legal age for marijuana products, if any.
- Similar to the tobacco and vaping industries, brands cannot use any type of marketing that can be construed as trying to appeal to children (characters, mascots, games, etc.)
- Don’t advertise your brand or giveaway in public (or private) places where children may be present, including billboards, buses/vehicles, television, and radio.
- Don’t use Facebook, Google, or any other advertising or marketing channel that specifically prohibits promotions involving illegal drugs to promote your giveaway.
- Do not allow mail-in entries as this could be considered as interstate commerce.
Legal Review Criteria: Dominant Factor Doctrine when assessing whether or not chance determines the outcome of a promotion.